Almost all LAMP Developers start their careers with the use of PHPMyAdmin which is a reasonable MySQL client to begin with but I think PHPMyAdmin hasn’t evolved with the same pace as rest of the Web Development techniques have.
MyWebSQL on the other hand is as robust as PHPMyAdmin with a user friendly interface and almost everything a Web 2.0 Application needs. Moreover its open source too, free to use with plenty of support for users from the development team.
I will list down some of the prominent features of MyWebSQL which make it stand out, hoping that this review will help developers find a decent MySQL Web client easily.
- Speed: MyWebSQL is substantially quicker than PHPMyAdmin. The difference is so noticeable that I had to mention it as the first advantage over PHPMyAdmin. It uses Asynchronous (Ajax) calls for executing the queries which also adds up to the speed.
- Simplicity & Interactivity: The user interface is very friendly with a decent, minimalist and light design. This also makes it easier for newbies to have a better experience. The buttons and menus are very much like any OS, so there is no learning curve for the user. And I love its right click functionality, being a Windows user I am very much used to the right click functionality when I am unable to find the required operation.
- Easy to Setup: It is very simple to setup on your hosted or local web server without any additional complex configuration of any sort. All it needs is PHP 5 and MySQL (versions 4 and 5 are both supported). The development team has recently added the support for SQLite as well.
- Themes & Languages: Though it is a tool to help in web development yet the developers have given multiple themes to select from if the default theme is not comfortable for your eyes. The basic package comes with 6 themes for now, but new themes can be created using jQuery UI base themes.Along with themes, it also comes in 39 different languages to choose from.
[If you are a developer and can help with translation into any language, you are more than welcome to send a request to the developers on the project website]
- Blazing fast Query Execution: MyWebSQL uses asynchronous query execution, making the process real quick and there are no waiting times for the page to reload and get the results. Moreover it has a panel at the bottom where you can write your query and see the results in the top panel. Making it look similar to any MySQL client installed on your desktop.
- Quick Record Editing: This is one of the neatest and unique feature of MyWebSQL. Records editing is really quick and simple, you can edit the records by double clicking on them. No need to browse to another page for editing records. And multiple edits can be saved with a single click, or you can simply generate SQL queries for your editing session and execute them manually after inspection.
- WYSIWYG Table Editor: The table creator and editor are completely WYSIWYG, so you can create or edit your tables in grid format, and it will generate the right queries for you to create or alter the tables as necessary.
- Syntax Highlighting:The Query Editor in MyWebSQL gives a very good syntax highlighting making the SQL queries more readable. Unlike the simple text box version in PHPMyAdmin. If you are a developer with basic knowledge of PHP, you can also pick any browser based code editor and integrate it with MyWebSQL easily.
- Multitasking:Yes, MyWebSQL supports multitasking, no need to open different tabs for seeing results of different queries. You can do all of it in one single tab under different interfaces within MyWebSQL. Tools and utilities available in the interface open up in separate dialogs, so you can multitask easily without losing focus from your queries.
- Import / Export & Multiple Servers:MyWebSQL supports importing and exporting databases, tables and results to and from different formats. The export has a special feature where you can export large databases without having to worry about the PHP Memory limits, which is an issue with PHPMyAdmin. MyWebSQL also supports connections to multiple Database servers.
- Customizable Sections: Different sections on the UI can be hidden and shown as per need. This gives the power to see only the sections that are needed. Moreover, next time you open the interface, your settings are preserved!
- Common Tools: Powerful Tools:Common database management tools like Process Manager, User and Permission Manager, Table checker/optimizer, Database Text Search, Table Index Manager etc. are included in the application.
The above list of impressive features have made MyWebSQL my favorite MySQL client. If you are fed up of your MySQL Client then MyWebSQL is going to be a good choice for you. You can check the Online Demo and decide for yourself. You can also send your feature request and bug reports, as the development team is pretty active in responding to your queries.